Waste Services

Residential Trash, Recycling & Yard Waste Service

Republic Services, Inc. provides residential trash, recycling (every other week) and yard waste (April-December) removal within the City of Grand Haven. Please visit Republic Services at www.republicservices.com or call 877-698-7274 to set up your service, report a missed pick-up, and answer frequently asked questions. Customers who travel away from home may call Republic Services prior to leaving to have their account placed on “vacation hold.” You will not receive an invoice for the time you indicate to them you will be away.

Bag Service Customer – Bags are available for sale at the Treasurer’s Office of City Hall for residential trash “bag service” customers.

Recycling Collection – Recycling services have been converted to an every other week 95-gallon carted program. Your recycling collection day will be the same day as your trash collection day. Please check the Recycling Collection Calendar or the Republic Services Website for pick-up dates. Also see the flyer on What can be Recycled?. Carts are also available to city residents as alternative drop-off sites for HOA/condo associations at the DPW yard at 1120 Jackson and at 555 Columbus in the city parking lot.

Large or Extra Items – Bulky items may be placed at the curb for pick-up with your regular trash each week. Major appliances and furniture will be picked up on the last Friday of each month. Please call Republic Services in advance to schedule a pick-up.

Yard Waste Service – Republic Services provides curbside yard waste collection services April 1 to December 31. Paper yard waste bags or a container marked “yard waste” may be used. Yard waste drop-off sites are also scheduled at Lakeshore Middle and Griffin Elementary Schools from 8:00 a.m. until noon on eight consecutive Saturdays in both the spring and the fall. Visit www.grandhaven.org and look under “Press Releases” for dates and further information about the drop-off sites.

Please Do Not Deposit Leaves or Other Debris in Street
Section 17-3 of the City Code prohibits the accumulation, deposit or disposal of leaves, yard waste or other materials in the public right-of-way, including the street right-of-way, alleys and sidewalks. Leaves, yard waste or other prohibited materials left in the public right-of-way may be collected and removed by the City with the cost of such collection billed to the adjacent property owner, plus a fine. The City will charge for actual time and material needed to remove prohibited deposits.

Household Hazardous Waste
The Ottawa County Health Department has a Resource Recovery Service Center for the collection of household hazardous waste. For more information, call 616-393-5645 or visit www.miottawa.org.

Metal Recycling
First Christian Reformed Church (located at 516 S. Ferry) operates a Metal Recycle Ministry. The church collects all types of metal (except televisions and computer monitors). If you have such items, call 616-842-6370 to schedule a pick up, or you can drop off…free! Visit www.firstchurchgrandhaven.com for more information.

Disposing of Unused Medicine
Scientists have found medicines in surface, ground and marine waters, as well as soils and sediments. Even very low levels of medicines enter the environment and affect human health. Medicines should never be flushed or rinsed down the drain or placed into landfills. Use the disposal vault in the lobby at Grand Haven Public Safety.