Housing FAQs

What is it that you do?

Our office provides housing education services such as homebuyer education, foreclosure prevention and renter education. Because we are a HUD certified housing counseling agency our services are confidential with no pressure from sales tactics and no tests to take. Most services are available in a group setting as well as one on one. Our education services are available to residents of Ottawa and Muskegon Counties. We have home buyer and home owner repair services available for most of North West Ottawa County. Call for complete details of available programs.

How do I know your agency is not a scam?

We are a HUD certified local housing counseling agency and our housing counselors are HUD certified.

Who can use your services?

Our counseling and education services are available to anyone who lives or works in Muskegon or Ottawa County. Our home owner repair program is available to residents of the City of Grand Haven, Grand Haven  Township, Spring Lake Village and Township, and the City of Ferrysburg. Our home purchase and home owner grant programs are currently available to anyone living or purchasing in the City of Grand Haven, Grand Haven Township, Spring Lake Township and the City of Ferrysburg.

Do you help people find housing?

Unfortunately, no we don’t help people find housing. We suggest working with a realtor when trying to buy a home. We can offer a couple of websites for finding rentals and always recommend calling CALL 211 for rental resources.

Do you charge for your services?

There is a small fee to attend homebuyer education and for our home owner repair program. However, that fee can be adjusted based on a sliding scale, please speak with our intake person when calling if you believe a fee may be a hardship. Our foreclosure prevention services are always free.

Do I have to wait for my home to be in foreclosure to get help?

No, in fact the sooner you contact us for help the better. We can present your options and help you determine what will work best for your individual situation.

Do I have to be income eligible?

No, our education services are available to anyone. Some of our home repair grant programs have income requirements, they vary by program, please call for details.

What members of my household should come to the appointment?

Any adult members of the household listed on the mortgage or anyone who shares financial responsibility for the household should come to the appointment. Basically, anyone who contributes to the household income should attend.

Is it ok for me to bring my children to my appointment?

We recommend not bringing children to protect your privacy and allow you to focus completely on the information your counselor is providing. Our office space is shared with another department that has continual in and out traffic. Your children would not be supervised and there is not a private space for them. For their safety we have a no children policy. Please speak with our intake person to find an appointment time that works with your schedule.

Do you have emergency funds to help pay my rent or mortgage?

No, we do not have emergency funds to help with this.

What do I need to bring to my appointment?

Our required paperwork varies based on your appointment type. Our intake person will share with you what you need to bring. Please understand that we have very strict file requirement guidelines dictated to us. If you do not bring the required documents we may be forced to reschedule your appointment. We work hard to help with this, please discuss this with our intake person as we may be able to help print required documents at our office.

Where are you located?

We are located on the second floor of the City Hall building at 519 Washington Ave, Grand Haven, MI 49417.