Duncan Woods Commission
The 40+ acres that make up Duncan Park were donated “to the people of the City of Grand Haven” by Martha Duncan in 1913 in memory of her husband, Robert Duncan. In the deed of gift, Mrs. Duncan appointed three trustees to have control of the park. The term of the trustees is for life. Whenever a trustee dies, resigns or moves out of the City, a replacement is nominated by the remaining trustees and appointed by the Mayor. The Duncan Woods Commission is a hybrid – a City park governed by the Duncan Woods Commission. The park is located off of Sheldon Road and is used extensively throughout the year. It is a beautifully wooded nature preserve of Beech & Hemlock. Facilities include a small picnic area located adjacent to the paved parking area and natural walking trails. There is limited access from Sheldon throughout the park to Lake Avenue.